Have you heard about the lawsuit that challenges the placement of the cross at the site of the New York City's 911 attack on the World Trade Center? A group called the American Atheists is making some astonishing claims. 100,000 atheist plaintiffs are saying they've suffered serious physical and mental illness including suicidal thoughts and uncontrolled vomiting at or around the Ground Zero cross--even if they see it on television. Why? Because the cross, they claim, makes them feel excluded.
Here's what the brief, signed by 100,000 people, had to say:
“Named plaintiffs have suffered …. dyspepsia, symptoms of depression, headaches, anxiety, and mental pain and anguish from the knowledge that they are made to feel officially excluded from the ranks of citizens who were directly injured by the 9/11 attack.”
The group wants the cross removed, or at the very least have an alternative symbol erected next to the cross: a 17-foot A for Atheists.
The founder of American Atheists was Madeline Murray O’Hair. You may remember that she also won the landmark lawsuit on behalf of her son William that effectively banned prayer in public schools. Thankfully William did not follow her path, and works to fight religious persecution around the world.
William J. Murray joins us with reaction to what's been happening in New York and elsewhere. He has written an op-ed piece titled, FAITH UNDER FIRE: Why American atheists' hate 9/11 cross
His book, My Life Without God, is enjoying a resurgence for a new generation. William is a strong advocate who speaks out against the persecution of Christianity in America and around the world as chairman of the Religious Freedom Coalition, a non-profit organization in Washington, D.C., and is active on issues related to aiding Christians in Islamic and Communist nations and founded ShariaFreeUSA.org. (Check out his Capitol Hill Updates blog.)
- Atheists claim Ground Zero cross sickens them (wnd.com)
- Militant Atheists Declare War on Ground Zero Cross (moonbattery.com)
- Ex-Pastor Turned American Atheist Director Tells How She Lost Faith (christianpost.com)
- School prayer ban 50 years later (standupforthetruth.com)
- Report: Christians Victims of 'Hostility' From Gov't (foxnews.com)
- Atheist Billboards Call Jesus a 'Useless Savior,' Bashes a 'Sadistic God' & Mormon 'Bigotry' (theblaze.com)
- How atheist's crusade brought us Obamacare (religiousfreedomcoalition.org)
- Atheist's son: Prayer needed in classrooms (religiousfreedomcoalition.org)