We received a great letter from Alex over the weekend:
I was wondering about Breath Prayers. It seems to me like a good thing to do. Why do I get the impression that it isn't something you guys advocate? I read in link from Rick Warren's info page that it is similar in a sense to praying the rosary but my objections to that is it isn't praying directly to Jesus but Mary as a mediator and I also don't think it is good to empty your mind and do all that eastern religious stuff, but I don't see a problem with breath prayers, in fact I attended services at an AG camp that in one of them talked a little bit about the benefits of it. What are your thoughts or objections if any? I love your show, thanks for blessing us with your insight and for standing up for God's Word!
Great question! I sent Alex some resources on Breath Prayer and Contemplative Prayer, which are practices advocated by many Christians into the New Age and Emergent movements within the Church. The list is probably overkill, but if you want to study more I am sharing it here:
- Contemplative Prayer: A Time of Departing
- How to hear God’s voice 100% of the time!
- Experiencing Henry Blackaby (watchmansbagpipes.blogspot.com)
- When God Talks Back: Elevating Experience Over Scripture (christianresearchnetwork.com)
- Why Bible Studies Don’t Transform Us (solasisters.blogspot.com)
- An Open Letter of Repentance To All Whom I Have Taught or Endorsed The Teachings of Henry Blackaby or Beth Moore (solasisters.blogspot.com)
- How Do You Hear God’s Voice? — Scripture (bobcornwall.com)
- The Vineyard Movement Grabs Hold of Contemplative Spirituality (lighthousetrailsresearch.com)
- John MacArthur Says Emerging Church in “Disarray and Decline” – Evidence Shows Differently (lighthousetrailsresearch.com)
- Altered States: A Different Gate (herescope.blogspot.com)
- The Warning (lighthousetrailsresearch.com)
- YOGA: Posture to Apostasy (herescope.blogspot.com)
- Contemplative prayer: Is it biblical? (standupforthetruth.com)
- Who is Henri Nouwen? (standupforthetruth.com)
- Pastor Tim Keller and Richard Foster: When Christians Promote Mysticism (solasisters.blogspot.com)
Alex wrote back and shared this:
Thank you and Amy so much for the links and info. The Breath Prayers that I learned about were much more different than these mystical prayers. It was more of a prayer around 12 syllables long that you repeat during the day under your breath when you need it, like if someone is rude to you, you just pray something like "O Lord, help me to forgive." or when things go wrong you pray something like "God, give me joy." That was my understanding, the breathing prayers you informed me of do seem to be more based on eastern religions. Thanks, and God bless you all!