This unfortunate incident happened in a community about 30 minutes from where we broadcast in northeast Wisconsin:(via American Family Association)
School officials at Shawano High School in Wisconsin have censored and punished Brandon Wegner, a 15-year-old, for writing an op-ed article explaining the Biblical view of homosexuality and supporting natural mother-father adoption, according to Liberty Counsel.
After Brandon wrote this article he was pulled into hours of meetings with school administrators and staff, without his parents' knowledge.
Superintendent Todd Carlson told him that the column "went against the bullying policy," and asked him if he "regretted" writing it. According to Liberty Counsel, when Mr. Wegner stated that he did not regret writing it, and that he stood behind his beliefs, Superintendent Carlson told him that he had "to be one of the most ignorant kids to try to argue with him about this topic," that "we have the power to suspend you if we want to" and that the column had "personally offended me, so I know you offended other people!"
Brandon's opinion was a part of an editorial page which presented viewpoints both for and against homosexual adoption, each articulated by a student. After the school newspaper was published in the local town paper, a homosexual in the community complained to the school. School officials then censored Brandon's article, forcing him and his classmates to pull the page out of the newspaper before distribution at the school.
Mathew Staver, founder and chairman of Liberty Counsel, said "The bullying at Shawano High School is by Superintendent Todd Carlson and the school officials, not the student, Brandon Wegner. The school officials have displayed blatant intolerance of a view on homosexuality held by many people. The school's actions are shocking and unjustified. The superintendent should immediately apologize and stop the bullying."
- 15-Year-Old Student Bullied for Supporting Biblical View of Family (greenmountainscribes.wordpress.com)
- Student threatened with suspension after op-ed opposing gay adoption (actualgrit.wordpress.com)
- School district to reconsider allowing teachers to discuss homosexuality in the classroom (cnn.com)
- Teacher Back to Work After Suspending Christian Student for Anti-Gay Remark By Gina E. Ryder (trinityspeaks.wordpress.com)
- School Apologizes for Bullying Student Over Homosexuality Comments (dakotavoice.com)
- School apologizes after student suspended for saying homosexuality wrong (deaconjohnspace.wordpress.com)